Do Plants Have Ears?

















As a naturopathic doctor and a nature-lover, I have great respect for the plant kingdom. Plants nourish us, heal us, and even shelter us.

But can they hear us too?

A new study published in the international journal Trends in Plant Science suggests that they can.

Researchers in Italy and the United Kingdom found that the roots of young corn plants produce and respond to sounds and vibrations. Scientists described the noises they make as "clicking" sounds.

They also observed that the roots, when suspended in water, grew toward sound vibrations emitted in the same frequency range of sounds made by the roots themselves.

The study concluded that "it is very likely that some form of sensitivity to sound and vibrations ... plays an important role in the life of plants."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing, wow cool, my flowers my trees they can listen me, they can be my best friend, they won't share my secrets with any one else. Having some breast cancer symptoms, having doubt in my heart about some one. i can share this with them. Cool. I am feeling so lighter and happier then i was before.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing, wow cool, my flowers my trees they can listen me, they can be my best friend, they won't share my secrets with any one else. Having some breast cancer symptoms, having doubt in my heart about some one. i can share this with them. Cool. I am feeling so lighter and happier then i was before.

DrBob said...

Hi, yeah, I thought only ENTS had ears! (Lord of the Rings). This week's New Scientist magazine in the UK has a great piece about plant senses - hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528791.700-rooted-in-experience-the-sensory-world-of-plants.html

Great blog, by the way, LOADS of useful articles......

Dr.Bob
http://heroesnotzombies.com