Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chemical-Free Cleaning For Kitchen Sponges


Don't use toxic chemical-based cleaners to disinfect your kitchen sponges. Clean them with your microwave instead.

A study published in the Journal of Environmental Health found that microwaving kitchen sponges and scrubbing pads killed harmful bacteria like E. Coli after only 30 seconds. A two-minute treatment on high (100% power) totally inactivated 99 percent of all germs.

First, wet your sponges. They don't need to be dripping wet but there should be some moisture evaporation during the treatment. Once your sponges are moist, microwave them on high for 2 minutes.

While the microwave is working, maintain your distance. Electromagnetic radiation escapes from microwaves and prolonged exposure can be harmful. In The Healthy Home, doctors Wentz recommend staying at least 5 feet away from the sides of microwaves and at least 10 feet away from their fronts whenever they're in use. This is especially important for pregnant women and children because they are more sensitive to the effects of electromagnetic radiation.

No comments: