Least Toxic Personal Products













My patients are always asking for recommendations regarding personal care products, and I'm always on the lookout for companies committed to eliminating toxic chemicals from what they make.

(According to research by the Environmental Working Group,
22% of all personal care products contain a carcinogen called 1,4-Dioxane and more than half of all sunscreens contain a potential hormone disruptor called oxybenzone.)

Here are my top picks for safe and effective products including
bar soap, sunscreen, moisturizer, lipstick and nail polish (just in time for sandal season). I use these products myself and I have no financial ties to the companies.

Soap

During my research on the Skin Deep Cosmetics Safety Database,
I found that Kiss My Face makes a Pure Olive Oil Soap with only 3 ingredients: saponified olive oil, water and salt. Compared to other soaps, it has a stickier texture but cleans well and lasts longer. I've also found it to be less drying. I would recommend this for anyone, but it's especially good for those with sensitive skin or dermatitis.











Sunscreen

The Environmental Working Group's Sunscreen Guide gives several good options, but the top products aren't always easy to find in stores. I like these two because they are well-absorbed, non-greasy, non-toxic, and available from Amazon.




Badger All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30, Unscented









 


California Baby Sunscreen Lotion No Fragrance, SPF 30+ 






Moisturizer

In the spring, summer and fall I always wear a daytime moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30 (in the winter I use SPF 15). Suntegrity Skincare SPF 30 can be applied anywhere, but I use it on my face. It is nontoxic and works well, but be sure to rub it in completely. Although it goes on white, it's invisible once absorbed as long as you don't use too much.











Lipstick

Because we inevitably swallow some of any product we apply to our lips, it's especially important for these products to be non-toxic. GloMinerals gets good marks on Skin Deep and is available from Amazon. The lipstick is long lasting but I wouldn't use it on dry lips.











Nail Polish

I'm happy with both of these non-toxic polishes: Acquarella and Keeki Pure and Simple. I never bother with a base coat or top coat, and 2 coats look good for at least a week.




Acquarella Nail Polish






Keeki Pure and Simple Nail Polish




Keeki Pure and Simple Nail Polish Remover

No comments: